Friday, 25 October 2013

Post #3

Post #3 - The title "The Book of Negroes" is in my opinion the line that cannot be crossed. I could understand the Dutch group disliking of the title, but I don't find it necessary to burn the cover of the book either. It isn't a bad title, but it's just a word that just doesn't quite fit in, despite that these powerful words unfortunately get used rather frequently in today's society. Knowing that the book is based on the day to day life of Aminata Diallo, I believe a good title could be something as simple as 'The Life of Aminata' or usually a title derives from a quote in the story such as, "Someone Knows My Name", which is what the story is called in some countries.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you Luc. We as a world are trying to bridge the gap between white and black people along with many others. I understand that it is his book and he makes the choice, however, in order to fix the the gap, we need to start thinking like a world not just as another author

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you to a point Luc, but our society is too quick to judge everything. The Book of Negroes is representing a document in history, it is not trying to isolate or make them feel offended.

    ReplyDelete